I have tried gluten-free cornbread mixes and one thing these gluten-free mixes have in common with regular cornbread mixes have in common is that the final result is soft and sweet, like cake. I don’t like soft, cake-like texture. I was forced to come up with a recipe that ends with a firmer cornbread that will give me dressing that is firm enough to cut into squares. I remember the recipe my mom taught me. I added my own touch to make this recipe mine.
Glenda’s Gluten-Free Cornbread
2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
1 cup yellow corn flour
2 teaspoons Aluminum Free Baking Powder
2 eggs or 1/2 cup of Eggbeaters (R)
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup olive oil
How to put it all together:
1. Put all dry ingredients together in a bowl
2. Combine all wet ingredients into another bowl.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly. Stir by hand or use a hand mixer until all the dry ingredients
4. Add water to make the consistency you want.
5. Pour ! Tbsp olive in the pan you will the cornbread in. Spread the olive over the entire bottom of the pan.
6. Pour the cornbread mixture in the pan into the 300 degrees pre-heated oven until brown. Approximately 30 minutes.
I was surfing through our direct TV channels the other night and stopped on the cooking channel. I am not a great cook, but I love sweets and I love to bake. I rarely have time to bake anymore now that I am working full-time and have two kids. However, on the show that I watched on the cooking channel, I learned how to make the most amazing chocolate cake. I wrote down the recipe and made it the next morning and it was as good as it looked on TV. It uses candy bars in the icing and the cake part is the most fluffy and moist cake I have ever tasted. My husband does not like sweets, but I convinced him to eat a piece of the cake and when he did, he agreed that it was amazing. I think I will take it to my in laws house for the holidays this year. My mother-in-law always asks me to bring a dessert to every family function. I do not know if she thinks that is the only thing I know how to make or if she just enjoys my desserts. Either way, I will be showing off my new cake recipe soon.